Free For Life

anything and everything thats important to me..

Thursday, December 15, 2005

My Tv Debut... Oh and I Voted hehe


I was dead tired and about to have my evening sleep (Its just heaven to sleep at 6ish ahhhhhhh) when my father suggested that it would be a good time to go and vote in the iraqi elections!!! So the whole family got in the car and off we went! When we got there, there was a queue of around 100 people waiting to get inside!!! It was overwhelming to see so many people waiting to vote! Vote for the first time in Free elections in Iraq (well 2nd time but u know what i mean!).

After around an hour it was time for myself and my family to get inside and after being frisked twice! i made my way into the room. A young lady approached me and my mother and asked us whether we'd like to be on Sky news!!! She asked us a few questions and said we would be perfect!

I was so nervous but i rehearsed what i wanted to say in my head 'Iraqis, Women, free vote' . And so i was Live at 9pm and the first question she asked me was 'what does this mean for iraqi women? And so when i started talking i couldn't stop! I said how it was an achievement not just for iraqi women but for all the women in the middle east! How it would truly be an acheievement if women in other countries would see a day that they would experience a truly free day like this!

After all the excitement i went for the registration table in which the guy asked me 'where is your fathers nationality since u arent born in Iraq!!! The cheek!! Like hello cant you see i have an iraqi passport i was about to say my father is Iranian i can call him if u like hehe but the other guy on the table said her mother is over there so they let me go through! I looked through the paper to find the 541 number and ticked it, folded the paper in two and placed it into the ballot box as well as dipping my finger in purple ink!!! (to stop ppl from voting twice).. Wow it was over everyone was so happy Kurdish ppl in their traditional dresses dancing and although i felt a bit uneasy around all the Kurd youth and men 'hanging around' I'm sure they were just happy in their own way hehe :P

However the real day of joy is 2morrow when Iraqis in Iraq go to the polls!

One day all the women of the middle east will be able to make their voices heard loudly like the iraqis will tomorrow!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:54 AM, Blogger Mike's America said…

    Zahra:

    You are invited to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the first Inauguration of President Ronald Reagan, January 20, 2006.

    It will be a great chance to reflect on where we have been, the lessons we have learned and where we are going as a nation.

    http://mikesamerica.blogspot.com/2006/01/next-week-we-celebrate-beginning-of.html

    You're welcome to use the image from the post in any manner you see fit and to invite any others who may wish to participate.

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said…

    Wonderful entry and I hope that what you say comes true: all women of the middle east will be able to vote! I support that goal 100%.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home